Examples of use of Chartist
1. History is memory; we have to remember what it is like to be a Roman, or a Jacobite or a Chartist or even – if we dare, and we should dare – a Nazi.
2. We‘ve been walking for six hours and we still haven‘t visited some of the most important radical shrines – the Pankhurst Centre in Nelson Street, any of Engel‘s homes, the Griffin Inn in Great Ancoats Street where Chartist boozers boozed.
3. It was from here in 183' that a 5,000 strong Chartist rising, campaigning for suffrage and parliamentary reform, was suppressed by soldiers opening fire on a crowd of banner–carrying protesters.
4. Tristram Hunt Sunday September 24, 2006 The Observer ‘Our strength is in our union; our power is in our voice; and our success in our perseverance,‘ announced Chartist leader Fergus O‘Connor to a rally of 30,000 on Kersal Moor in 1838, just one of a series of protests that were turning Manchester into Britain‘s premier socialist city.
5. TOP MARX÷ Rod Liddle suggests that Karl Marx (victor of Radio 4s Best Philosopher poll) may not have been a philosopher at all (Comment, last week). My great–great grandfather, John Bedford Leno, a Chartist, printer and poet, met Marx several times.